Saturday, April 4, 2009

Quit Smoking!

I was talking to a person very close to me the other day. She was telling me that when her husband goes back out on the road to do a job, she would like to try to quit smoking. I, of course, told her that would be wonderful. I quit 9 years ago. I smoked for 20 and at 3 am on January 1, 2000, I smoked my last one. I psyched myself up for a year before I did it. Every time I lit a cigarette, I would tell myself "one day soon you won't be doing this any more." I would concentrate on as much negative stuff about it that I could. I would notice that I smelled of smoke even with perfume on. I noticed how a cigarette in my hand only gave me one hand to use. I noticed how others felt (who didn't smoke) when the smokers always got to go on breaks at their jobs. I noticed my breath wasn't always pleasant. I noticed the money I was spending. I noticed my children watching me. I decided I'd had enough. So, I made a list of my reasons to quit and I concentrated on them all the time:
- Cigarette companies are making a profit on your addiction and impending ill health. You're
putting THEIR kids through college, feeding THEIR families, buying THEIR homes, cars,
jewels, etc.
-You're polluting the planet with the butts and you're polluting other people's lungs
-The government makes a profit from the taxes
-If you should suffer ill health due to smoking, YOU pay your bill or WE pay for your insurance
(Medicaid)
-You stink
-Your breath stinks
-You get more wrinkles
-You honestly look dumb; not glamorous or cool; especially when you're standing outside in the
rain or freezing cold because you can't smoke indoors
-You set a bad example for your kids
Figure out how much you spend a year on cigarettes (careful; it may shock you). What is something positive you could do with that money?
JUST QUIT--YOU'RE WORTH IT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment